Sunday 24 February 2013

Mamon Recipe

I got this recipe from my parents. I remember way back in the province where I grew up and our way of living was used to be selling kinds of sweet breads everyday to our neighbours as well as to the local stores in our town. My Dad used to work at Julie's bakeshop and was Mrs Julie's trusted man to build his bakeries. And was able to get closed to the bakers and observed the way they bake breads. From it, he was inspired to start a little venture of selling breads in our town. He provided Mum a capital while he carries on working at Julie's. I was then first year high school when Mum and big sister started this small living and I used to bring some to my school to sell. Everyone loved our Pandesal (sweet bread roll), Francis, Mamon (Filipino sponge cake) and many more. It lasted until I graduated high school but never really expanded because the profit was just enough to cover our daily expenses. In short, we badly managed the money but I must say it was the sole source of our daily basic needs. When I went back and visit them 2 months ago I copied few bread recipe's. I hope one day, I can provide my parents a capital to start their bakery business again. It is Mum's only wish so I better start saving for it. Anyway, here's my attempt of making the Mamon. It is ideal for an afternoon snacks along with a cup of coffee or cola :)


Ingredients

  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 eggs, yolk separated from white


Cooking Instructions


  1. Mix in the cake flour and baking powder well. Set aside.
  2. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar then beat until the mixture becomes really fluffy.
  3. Gradually add sugar then continue beating until the texture becomes even fluffier. Use high speed for this process that should take around 4 to 8 minutes.
  4. Add lemon juice and egg yolks and mix it all again.
  5. Put-in vegetable oil then mix for a few seconds then gradually add cake flour-baking powder mixture. Continue mixing until the texture turns smooth.
  6. Heat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit = 176-180 Celsius / Centigrade = 4 Gas Mark
  7. Make sure to grease the molds using brush or your hand then scoop some of the mixture into the mold but do not fill it as it will grow as it cook. Continue doing this process until all the mixture is used-up.
  8. Bake it for 13 to 16 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
  9. Remove from the oven and let cool then sprinkle some sugar on top of each Mamon.
  10. Then serve, share and enjoy!















2 comments:

  1. this looks yummy gat. oi nahack jud akong fb. ikaw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oks lang ko yads, nag fb fasting sab ko kay distracting kaau while studying life in the UK. So, deactivated akong FB for now. Anyway, thanks for dropping by - lets get in touch here in blogging nalang hehe.

      Delete